The client believed that they had an effective backup capability with a high rate of compliance but didn’t have an independent way of technically validating the state of their backup and disaster recovery.
A backup technical audit was required, essentially a health-check to ensure the back ups are fit for purpose, operating to agreed service parameters, governed correctly, and utilising best practice across Process, People and Technology
We performed a deep technical audit and assessed the backup capability at a detailed level of information.
· Assessed whether the backup infrastructure was built as designed
· Assessed whether backup clients were deployed, in line with documented expectations
· Assessed whether the backup environments were operated, as expected in order to deliver the appropriate backup service
· The technical audit enabled the client to understand deficiencies in processes and where they need to focus on improvements
· We enabled issues to be highlighted and therefore the client can now remediate
· Identified where client is not backing up data when they should and gaps in disaster recovery
· Identified some key documentation gaps around why systems are not standard across the various regions
· Identified some cost related efficiencies
It gives the client an independent health assessment of their environments which now allow them to get funding for a service that's been traditionally underfunded and highlight the business impact of the gaps found in the audit. It allows the client to get support to remediate the issues.